A bunch brands had a change of heart this past year and ended up breaking up with their old logos. Out with the old, in with the new.
But break-ups are tough, man! Some came out on top, and some were headed for a full-blown design meltdown! Let’s take a look:
—- 10 BEST LOGO CHANGES OF 2013
10. Royal Canadian Mint - That’s some hella coinage in that new maple leaf. It’s kinda fun and way less stuffy than the old logo. But I don’t like how the name is left to the side, creating two elements side by side. Maybe I don’t like this as much as I thought I did :/
9. Vevo - New Vevo logo looks he just saw his favourite video and seems to be having the time of his life, unlike old Vevo logo who just looks stuck in a stiff and geometric world of no-fun land!
8. Mall of America - Old Mall of America was dingy, dated and sooo 80’s. New Mall of America is fun, less patriotic and modern. This logo is gonna make you buy stuff!
7. Cystic Fibrosis UK - Awareness for these kind of organizations is always low. This new logo activates the ‘is’ and extends the logo with a series of statements, making everyone always aware of who they are, what they’re doing and how they’re doing it. So good!
6. Opera Australia - This is probably the best example of initials used in a logo I’ve seen! Logo has a beginning/middle/end, just like the the opera, yo!
5. Parc olympique - Pardon mon amour but that old logo was never a logo to begin with. New logo is simple as simple can be, but it’s probably just what it needed. Simple to the rescue, again!
4. The Bay - Props to
The Bay Hudson’s Bay for all of a sudden becoming relevant and cool again. Even though the new logo is a bit of a recycle, it’s looking a lot more interesting than the old one. They’re looking classy as fuck. Way to go.
3. The Why? Foundation - This foundation was created by a cancer survivor and the logo is play on WTF which is essentially telling cancer to go fuck itself. It’s a delicate subject but for foundations like this, you need to be in people’s faces. Bonus points if you look good doing it.
2. Goal - Old logo was a corporate orgasm, with a lame and generic icon, name, URL and tagline all encompassed into a gigantic ugly logo. Gross! The new logo may look really obvious, but it’s executed really well. And they even used the ‘TM’ as a ball. Major win.
1. Boom - This company changed their name, and created a fun vertically-written logo, which is rare to see. But this is the most fun logo I’ve seen all year. Look at it, it’s so fun! Boomshakalaka!
—- 10 WORST LOGO CHANGES OF 2013
10. Moleskine - The addition of that 3x3 thing is a complete waste of everyone’s time. Doesn’t add anything so why the fuck do it?
9. Iberia - The letters of the new logo seem to be bursting out in the middle. This was a lame attempt at trying to modernize the logo, but it just feels like a generic downgrade.
8. Ernst & Young - I keep reading this as EW. Like Jimmy Fallon Skit EW. Also reminds me of YP, or the yellow pages. Also EW.
7. Country Music Association - Hey y’all, the CMA went all corporate on us. Boring. Can somebody point out what part of the new logo resembles country music? Bring back the old one!
6. Bing - Oh Microsoft, what the fuck are you doing? That boomerang is bad, looks like a cone-boob from Caesar’s Palace. The font is generic and just bad. And now I’m sleepy.
5. The Vitamin Shoppe - I hate everything about this: the lower case of ‘the’, that stupid yellow ‘V’ and the different weights of the type. It’s better than the old logo, but that’s not saying much either.
4. Pearle Vision - Hooters!!! All I see in that new logo are the fucking hooters. Them hooters looking straight back at me!
3. The Ringling - Wow, that new logo sure makes me wanna visit this museum… NOT. Stuffy, boring, old. I rather be a pen salesman for the rest of my life than look at this ever again.
2. American Society of Furniture Designers - Let’s hope these fools don’t design furniture as bad as that tacky new logo.
1. Yahoo! - New font. Is ugly. Ugly font. New font is fucking ugly. They also added a shadow inside the letters. Not sure how you make an ‘upgrade’ feel so dated and boring. The old logo was fun. That new piece of shit is just bad!
That’s it for this week! More lists coming next week! Come back, k?