I’m guessing album covers don’t get as much credit as they should because we are such music thieves. And cuz of the shift to streaming. But then you look at how dull some of these covers are, all seems good again! Most covers have two categories: 1) i’m-too-cool-to-be-mainstream-so-I’m-fucking-weird and 2) i’m-too-famous-and-I-want-my-head-as-big-as-possible. They’re both ugly, and I’m calling them out!
With that said, some album covers are tastefully done, and also complement the music behind the cover. Here’s my countdown of the best and worst album covers of 2011:
—- 5 BEST ALBUM COVERS OF 2011:
5. Tinie Tempah, Disc-overy - The mixture of oil painting, illustration, photography and Star Wars makes me wanna be just like Tinie Tempah. I love this cover!
4. Bibio, Mind Bokeh - Bibio does a lot of fun electronic music. The album name is a Japanese word referring to the out-of-focus area of photography. Then you get the marriage of both in this super cool cover.
4. James Blake, James Blake - Take a listen to this guy’s voice. It’s nice, but weird. Just like this cover, which is 1 part nice, 2 parts creepy, and 50 parts awesome.
4. Oh Land, Oh Land - Something so cute, tactile and kaleidoscopic aboutHeidi Klum this album cover that is just really…cute!
1. ‘Lil Wayne, Tha Carter IV - Man, I don’t care how ugly you are as ‘Lil Wayne, but ‘Lil ‘Lil Wayne is all kinds of awesome, making it (seriously) my favourite cover of the year!
—- 5 WORST ALBUM COVERS OF 2011:
5. Limp Bizkit, Gold Cobra - It’s Limp Bizkit’s failed attempt at staying relevant, and they did so by putting the Kardashian sisters on it. But Khloe K wishes!
5. The Limousines, Get Sharp - Spit bubble? I guess green vomit was taken by The Exorcist, but seriously dudes… gross.
3. Drake, Take Care - Fine, I get the gold, but why the goblet? It’s a horrid photograph, too. And, are you praying? OPEN YOUR EYES!
2. Battles, Gloss Drop - What is going on here? Bubble gum? Silly string? Snot? Intestines? Aliens? My brain when it keeps starring at this ugly thing? Not cool, at all!
1. Lady Gaga, Born This Way - Gaga as a motorcycle/B-horror-movie-poster/, because she’s born this way, man! (!!!!????) F-off Lady Gags, you’re a stupid gimmick and this cover proves it. And stop dressing up as a chandellier, or the cable that holds it. For real.
Did I get it right?